Anna University Examination 2012 Important Questions
Database Management Systems
Subject Code : 141405
Subject Name : Database Management Systems
Tirunelveli, Madurai, Coimbatore, Tirchy All Over Tamil Nadu engineering colleges
1. Discuss in detail about the database management system architecture with neat diagram?
2. Explain the different types of data model in detail with suitable examples
3. Describe the components of E- R diagram with example? [Ex: Library management system, Hospital management system any example they may ask]
4. Explain the different types of keys used in dbms discuss about database users and administrator
1. Discuss the fundamental operations in relational algebra operations with suitable example.
2. Explain the following with suitable example
(i) Integrity Constraints
(ii) Distributed and Client server databases
3. What are aggregate functions? Discuss with examples, the various aggregate functions used in SQL?
4. With relevant examples discuss the following in SQL?
1. What is normalization? Explain 1NF, 2NF, 3NF and BCNF with suitable example.
2. Discuss on two-phase locking protocol and time-based protocol in detail?
3. Explain non-loss decomposition and functional dependencies with suitable examples
4. Discuss how schema refinement an improve schemas obtained through ER design
1. Explain different forms of serializability?
2. State and explain in detail about three concurrency problems
3. Why is recovery needed? Discuss any two recovery techniques?
4. Explain in detail about different locking protocols in detail.
1. Discuss in detail about the different RAID Levels?
2. Illustrate the purpose of indexing .How indexing can be done by B+ tree. Explain.
3. Describe the different types of file organization? Explain using a sketch of each of them With their advantages and disadvantages
4. Explain the various complex selection predicates and sorting operations with an example