28-10-2015, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2015, 02:29 PM by Aravindhan Manogaran.)
Question Paper Code: 71257
B.E. / B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL / MAY 2015
CE 2305/CE 54/10111 CE 505 -FOUNDATION ENGINEERING
(Common to PTCE 2305/10111 CE 505 - Foundation Engineering for B.E. (part-Time) Fifth Semester, Civil Engineering - Regulation 2009/2010)Time: Three hours
Maximum: 100 marks
Note: IS 6103 - 1981 Code book may be permitted.
Answer ALL questions.
Part A - (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
1. Differentiate: Non representative and undisturbed samples.
2. How do you decide the depth of exploration? List the factors you will consider.
3. What factors determine whether a foundation type is shallow or deep?
4. Why are hearing capacity equations for clay usually the undrained shear strength?
5. Indicate the circumstances under which combined footings are adopted.
6. List and sketch different type of mat foundations.
7. What type of piles would you recommend for the following types of soil and site conditions?
(a) For a multi-storeyed building in the central part of a city surrounded by existing buildings.
(b) For a harbour structure.
8. Does the choice of a pile hammer have any relevance to "the type of pile? Give reasons.
9. Why only granular materials are preferred for the backfill of a retaining wall?
10. How do tension cracks influence the distribution of active earth pressure in pure cohesion?
FE APR MAY 2015.pdf (Size: 815.22 KB / Downloads: 3,694)