EE2303 -Transmission & Distribution
V+ 2012 Edition
Subject Code: EE2303
Subject Name : Transmission & Distribution (TnD)
Semester : V
Department : B.E Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Year : 3rd Yr
1. Explain about FACTS and its controllers with neat diagram.
2. Draw and explain the structure of modern power systems with typical voltage levels.
3. (i) What are the different kinds of DC links? Draw relevant diagrams. (8)
(ii) Compare EHVAC and HVDC transmission (8)
4 Derive an expression for sag calculation in a transmission line
(i) When the supports are at equal heights (8)
(ii) When the supports are at unequal heights(8)
5. Derive the expression for inductance of a 3 phase line with symmetrical & unsymmetrical spacing.
6. Discuss the concept of GMR and GMD in the calculation of transmission line inductance.
7. Derive the expression for inductance of a 3 phase double circuit line for hexagonal spacing and flat vertical spacing with transposition.
8. (i) Explain the various factors affecting corona loss and methods of minimizing them. (8)
(ii) Derive the expression for the voltage induced in cornmunicatioi lines due to current in power
9. Deduce an expression for the sending end and receiving end power of a line in terms of voltage and ABCD constants. Show that the real power transferi’ed is dependent on the power angle and reactive power transferred is dependent on the voltage drop in the line.
10. Write short notes on i) Shunt compensation ii) Series compensation
11. Draw the phasor diagram and explain the procedure for determining the voltage regulation, transmission efficiency and ABCD constants of medium transmission line using nominal T and pi method.
12. Explain the procedure for determining the voltage regulation, transmission efficiency and ABCD constants of long transmission line using nominal T and pi model.
13. Explain two methods of grading of cables with necessary diagrams.
14. (i) What are different methods to improve string efficiency of an insulator? (8)
(ii) Draw the schematic diagram and explain various types of insulators. (8)
15. (i) Briefly explain about various types of cables used in underground system. (10)
(ii) Describe with the neat sketch, the construction of a 3 core belted type cable. (6)
16. Explain various methods of neutral grounding.
17. Draw the circuit arrangement and explain the various elements of substation schemes.
18. (i) Explain the design principles of substation grounding system. (8)
(ii) Discuss and compare radial and ring main distribution system. What is the role of ¡nterconnectors in distribution system. (8)