09-03-2015, 05:29 PM
M.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATIONS SEMESTER-III
ME/M.TECH INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE
COMBUSTION AND EMISSION IN ENGINES
Maximum: 100 marks Time: Three hours
PART-A (10 X 2 mark = 20 marks)
Answer All Questions. Each question carries two marks.
1. Define combustion.
2. Explain about Dissociation.
3. List out any two after treatment devices for SI engine.
4. Define Knocking.
5. List out any two after treatment devices for CI engine.
6. Define direct Injection system.
7. Explain about recirculation in engine.
8. Explain about recirculation zone.
9. What’s the effect on environment with release of CO from engine?
10. Define unburnt Hydrocarbon.
PART-B (5*6 Marks=30 marks)
Answer All Questions. Each question carries 6 marks. Answer must not exceed one page.
11. (a) Explain about combustion equation.
(b) Differentiate between laminar and turbulent flow propagation in engines.
12. (a) Explain about normal combustion along pressure-crank angle curve. [OR]
(b) List out the differences between normal and abnormal combustion.
13. (a)Explain about delay period along with sub classification.
(b) Enumerate heat release correlations.
14. (a) Explain abut flame stability.
(b) Narrate reasons for stability and its effects.
15. (a) Differentiate the emissions released from petrol and diesel engines.
(b) Explain about formation of soot and smoke.
PART-C (5*10 Marks=50 marks)
Answer All Questions. Each question carries 10 marks. Answer must not exceed three pages.
21. (a) Explain about theoretical flame temperature and its effects clearly.
(b)What is chemical equilibrium and explain about dissociation in brief.
22. (a) Explain about stages of combustion in SI engine and factors effecting the delay period.
(b) What is a combustion chamber? Explain types of combustion chambers in detail.
23. (a) Explain about the spray formation, factors effecting the spray formation in CI Engine.
(b)Explain about stages of combustion in CI engine, factors affecting the combustion.
24. (a) Explain about combustion I gas turbine, types of combustion chambers in gas turbine.
(b) Why cooling system is required, explain about types of cooling systems for gas turbine.
25. (a) What is pollution, types, explain about global warming and greenhouse effect.
(b) Explain about emissions norms followed in INDIA and ABROAD.
|Possibly Related Threads...|
|MV 403-MARINE HEAT ENGINES AND APPLIED THERMODYNAMICS Nov-2011 Question paper(Typed)||SriNee||1||1,177||
30-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Last Post: SRM
|1st sem Ques||keerthana||0||1,292||
16-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Last Post: keerthana