30-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Department of Mechanical Engineering
ME2034 Nuclear Engineering
Nov / Dec 2013 Important Questions
UNIT I NUCLEAR PHYSICS
1. State the law of mass energy equivalence and calculate the energy in kW likely to be produced by one gram of matter taking light velocity as 3 x10^8 m/sec.
2. Define ‘half life’, ‘mean life’ and ‘decay constant’.
3 Explain the concept of elastic scattering and discuss how inelastic scattering differs from elastic scattering.
4. Write a brief note on ‘neutron interactions’ and ‘cross sections’.
5. Explain the various methods of determining cross section.
UNIT II NUCLEAR REACTIONS AND REACTION MATERIALS
1. What is chain reaction? How it is maintained? What is the difference between controlled and uncontrolled chain reaction? Explain with neat sketches and with examples.
2. Explain the nuclear fuel.
3. Write short notes on: [i] Nuclear fuel cycles and its characteristics.
[ii] Uranium production and purification.
4. Explain clearly [i] Nuclear fuel cycle with a neat sketch, and
[ii] Spent fuel characteristics.
5. Draw and explain a solvent extraction equipment.
UNIT III REPROCESSING
1. Explain the characteristics of spent nuclear fuel.
2. Explain the working principle with a diagram of solvent extraction equipment used in nuclear industry.
3. State the role of extraction in nuclear reprocessing.
4. Write a brief note on types of nuclear fuel cycle.
5. Explain the process of FLOUREX.
6. Explain the extraction of uranium and plutonium extraction form spent fuel using PUREX method.
UNIT IV NUCLEAR REACTORS
1. With a neat sketch explain the boiling water reactor power plant.
2. Describe the boiling water reactor with the help of neat sketch and explain its chief characteristics.
3. Explain with a neat sketch the indirect gas cooled reactor.
4. Write short notes on the following: [i] Boiling water reactor
[ii] Fast breeder reactor.
5. Explain the principle of operation of a sodium graphite reactor.
6. Explain the principle of operation of a Lead-bismuth reactor.
UNIT V SAFETY AND DISPOSAL
1. Explain the criteria for nuclear safety system.
2. Discuss about the safety measures adopted in modern nuclear plants.
3. Explain with a neat diagram the disposal of low level solid nuclear wastes.
4. Explain about the effects of nuclear radiation on parts of human beings.
5. Discuss about the reasons for nuclear accidents classified based on the source.
6. Explain with a neat diagram the disposal of high level solid nuclear wastes.
Share your Study Materials with us : Click Here