01-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Department of Civil Engineering
CE2304 Environmental Engineering-I
Nov / Dec 2013 Important Questions
1.What are the causes for pollution of surface and subsurface sources of water? State the measures to be adopted to prevent pollution of water
2.What is meant by design period and population forecasts? Why is the population forecast necessary in the design of public water supply schemes? Discuss the different methods employed for the purpose and their comparative merits and demerits
3.Explain the various types of water demand
4.Explain effects of variation in demand on the design capacities of different components of a water supply scheme.
5.i) Compare the merits and demerits of the continuous and intermittent systems of water supply
ii) Give sketches of the following: (a) Elevated Reservoir
(b) Surface Reservoir
1.List the various joints adopted in water supply pipes. Explain any two with neat sketches.
2.Describe the different types of pumps. Priming and operation of centrifugal pump
3.What are the intake towers? Explain its three major types.
4.Draw a neat sketch of canal intake and explain the working principle. State its merit and demerits.
5.Explain any three pipe appurtenances with neat sketches
1.Explain with a neat sketch, the working of a continuous flow type sedimentation tank
2.Calculate the dimensions of a rectangular plain sedimentation tank to treat 12 × 10^6 ml/day. Assume a detention period of 6 hours and velocity of flow as 20cm/sec
2.A rectangular tank with length of 15m, width of 6m and depth 3m is to treat 2.40 × 10^6 MLD. Calculate: i) Detention period of tank ii) Average flow velocity through tank
iii) Surface overflow rate
3.Design a rapid sand filter unit for 4 million litres per day of supply, with all its principal components
4.Give a detailed account on disinfection processes or drinking water
5.Give a detailed account on flocculators with design parameters.
1. Write in detail about Construction, Operation and Maintenance of Water treatment plants.
2. Give a detailed account on Membrane Processes and Membrane Systems
3. Explain various methods of De-fluoridation.
4. a) Define Aeration. How will you provide aeration in water treatment systems?
b) How will you remove iron and manganese from water?
5. With neat sketches explain the various methods available for water softening?
1. Explain the hardy cross method used for pipe network analysis in water distribution system
2. Give a detailed account on appurtenances used in water distribution system.
3. What are the connections used for water supply plumbing systems in building and houses?
Explain with neat diagrams
4. Explain the various Leak detection methods.
5.a) What are service reservoirs? Explain its types with neat diagrams
b) Computer applications in network design.
Share your Study Materials with us : Click Here