Anna University , Chennai
Department : All
Subject Code : PH6251
Subject Name :Engineering Physics II
Study Material Description : 16 Marks Question Bank for all the units
Unit – I CONDUCTING MATERIALS
1. (i) Define Density of States.
(ii) Derive an expression for the density of states in metal.
2. (i) State the assumption of the classical free electron model.
(ii) Obtain expressions for the electrical conductivity and thermal conductivity of a metal on the basis of classical free electron theory.
3. What is fermi function? Discuss how the Fermi function varies with temperature.
Unit – II SEMI CONDUCTING MATERIALS
4. (i) Derive an expression for the concentration of electron in the conduction band of an intrinsic Semiconductor.
5. (ii) Write the necessary theory, describe the method of determining the band gap of an intrinsic Semiconductor. DERIVATION
EXPERIMENTAL SET UP
6. Derive an expression for density of holes in the valance band of P type semiconductor.
7. Derive an expression for density of electronsin the conduction band of n type semiconductor.
8. (i) What is Hall Effect? Give the theory of Hall Effect and hence justify how Hall coefficient depends on the doping concentration. Describe an experimental set up to determine the Hall Co efficient.
(iii) A sample of silicon is doped with 1023phosphorous atom/m3. Find the Hall voltage in a sample with thickness = 100μm, Current Ix =1 mA and magnetic field B =0.1 Wb/m2(Assume electron Mobility, μ = 0.07 m2/V.S)
Unit – III MAGNETIC MATERIALS & SUPER CONDUCTING MATERIALS
9.(i) Draw the B-H curve for a Ferro magnetic material and explain the same on the basis of domain theory
(ii)Differentiate between hard and soft magnetic materials.
10. With neat sketch explain preparation, structure, properties and applications of ferrites.11.explain dia ,para and ferromagnetic
12.Distinguish between type I and type II superconductors.
13. ii)Explain the following applications of superconductors. (a) SQUID (b) Cryotron.
14. i) Explain in detail high Tc superconductors with examples.
(ii) Write a note on isotopic effect.
Unit – IV DIELECTRIC MATERIALS
15. Derive an expression for local field in a dielectric material and hence deduce Clausius –Mosotti equation.
16.(i) Give a detailed discussion on the various types of dielectric breakdown in dielectric material.
(ii) What are the remedies to avoid breakdown mechanism?
17. Derive an expression for ionic and electronic polarization in dielectric material.
Unit- V NEW ENGINEERING MATERIALS
18.Give a detailed account on metallic glasses, the method of production , types, properties and application.
19. (i) Describe the pulsed laser deposition technique to synthesis Nano materials. AND CHEMICAL VAPOUR DEPOSITION
20. (i)Explain the shape memory effect, pseudo elasticity and hysteresis property of shape memory alloys.
(ii) Give the applications of shape memory alloys.
16marks.pdf (Size: 383.28 KB / Downloads: 28,284)