Anna University , Chennai
Department of B.E-Mechanical Engineering
GE2022 Total Quality Management
1. What is Sourcing? What are the various types?
Sourcing is placing an order for supply of materials for a company or a manufacturing firms”.
• Sole sourcing: It is use of only one supplier of organization. They does not have any choice. This situation is because of following factors,
patents ,specifications, raw material.
• Multiple sourcing: Two or more suppliers. Competition will result in better quality, lower costs and better service.
• Single sourcing: it is the use of single supplier for an item when several sources are available. It leads to long term relationship
2. Mention the quality improvement strategies.
• Repair: Anything broken must be fixed. Two levels: Temporary :quick fix, Permanent: eliminate root cause.
• Refinement: Continually improve a process that is not broken. Improves efficiency and effectiveness.
• Renovation: Breakthrough improvements
• Re-invention: Preceded by the feeling that current approach will not satisfy customer requirements.
3. What are the different types of teams?
Process improvement team: Groups of 5 to 12 employees from the same department who meet for a few hours each week to discuss ways of improving quality, efficiency, and the work environment.
Cross-functional team: Employees from about the same hierarchical level, but from different work areas, who come together to accomplish a task.
Self-directed/self-managed work teams: Groups of 10 to 15 people who take on the responsibilities of their former supervisors.
Virtual Teams: Teams that use computer technology to tie together physically dispersed members in order to achieve a common goal.
4. What is performance appraisal?
It is a systematic and objective assessment or evaluation of performance and contribution of an individual employee in an organisation.
5. What do you mean by muda?
Muda refers to seven classes of waste—over production, delay, transportation, processing, inventory, wasted motion and defective parts.
6. What is the Teboul model of customer satisfaction.
The shaded area represents customer satisfaction.
7. List the various types of problems encountered in continuous process improvement.
Compliance: Non performance compared to standards.
Unstructured: Not specified by standards-negative customer feedback-
Efficiency : System/process is performing unacceptably—owner of the process
Process Design: Production process-obsolete.
Product Design: Development of new product -- Changing customer needs.
8. What is a team?
A team is defined as a group of people working together to achieve some common objective or goals.
9. What are the different roles of team members?
10. List the different stages of team development.
11. What is recognition?
It is the form of employee motivation in which the organization acknowledges the achievements and positive contributions an employee or a team has made to the success and benefit of the organization.
12. What is reward?
Reward is something tangible. It may be a cash prize, or a promotion or a package tour – to promote desirable behaviour in the employees.
13. Define Performance Appraisal.
According to flippo, “Performance appraisal is the systematic periodic and an impartial rating of employee’s excellence in matters pertaining to his present job and his potential for a better job”.
14. What is continuous process improvement?
Continuous process improvement is the heart of TQM process. Continuous improvement is derived from the Japanese term “KAIZEN”. The main aim of continuous process improvement is to improve the levels of customer satisfaction and reducing the cost of attaining this.
For 16 Marks with Answers, Attachment the attachment.
Full Name :visvanaath
Subject Name :total quality management
ECE FINAL QUESTION BANK for unit 2-1..doc (Size: 2.07 MB / Downloads: 944)