Positive effects of listening to music while studying
friends how many of you listen to music while studying
Music has a profound effect on us, it can alter everything from mood to heart rate. Music can energise us or even depress us.
Music is said to have positive effect on the mind, and listening to the right kind of music can also improve studying and learning. Listening to music can give a better frame of mind to learn.
According to research, multitasking tends to result in a slight drop of IQ. This would seem that listening to music while studying is a bad idea. Although, it does not necessarily be the same always, there are a few factors which it depends on.
- Listening to calming music while you are agitated will absolutely have positive effects.
- Music has the ability to bring-in a better mood which in turn increases the IQ. If music helps to sustain your attention, it is better not to deprive yourself of it, but choose your music carefully.
- Choosing music that you like and are familiar with is best, it will be less distracting.
- Too loud music can be distracting and pull your attention away.
- Music makes a perfect antidote for those who feel studying is a painful chore.
- Generally, instrumental music is always the best way to go.
Research also says that Everything depends on the individual, some students can study effectively with music while others are distracted to any external stimulus.
It also depends on the type of music played. Research also tells that listening to classical music provides short-term enhancement of mental tasks which includes memorisation.
So is it okay to listen to music while you study or do homework? It depends! Those who excel in multitasking can by all means continue to study while there is music playing. Otherwise, a quiet place with no distraction is best chosen.
Your problem isn't the problem. Your reaction is the problem.