29-07-2012, 11:10 PM
OS is a system software which manage the computer hardware.
It provides basis for application software and it act as intermediary between user and computer hardware.
1.Command Line OS
2.Graphical User Interface OS
Command Line OS:
User interaction with computer by using commands and the response according to the respective command!
Eg: Disk Operating Systems (DOS)
Graphical User Interface OS:
User interaction with computer by using mouse and keyboard.
Eg: Windows OS, Linux,Unix,Mac.
Different versions of OS:
First version of Windows OS released in 1985 and most widely used are
- Windows 8*
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
In 1984 launch a Macintosh Personal Computer and the Mac first version released in 1999.
- Mac OS X Server 1.0 (Hera)
- Public Beta (Kodiak)
- Mac OS X Version 10.0 (Cheetah)
- Mac OS X Version 10.1 (Puma)
- Mac OS X Version 10.2 (Jaguar)
- Mac OS X Version 10.3 (Panther)
- Mac OS X Version 10.4 (Tiger)
- Mac OS X Version 10.5 (Leopard)
- Mac OS X Version 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
- Mac OS X Version 10.7 (Lion)
- Mac OS X Version 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
Its a self contained, multitasking and multi user OS released in 1969
Its a Open Source OS and which is popular for Server and Desktop OS.