16-08-2015, 07:36 PM
In modern industries , equipment and machinery are very important parts of the production activity. A large amount of money is invested in machineries and equipments. Special purpose and modern machineries cost a lot of money. If those machineries and equipments are kept idle then it will be a great loss to that company. So they have to be kept always in good working condition. Then only they will work efficiently for more number of years. They should not breakdown or stop production . So it is very important that machineries and equipments in plants are properly maintained. In order to take smooth production of finished goods from the factory, machinery and equipment, should be in proper conditions and with breakdown free. The damage caused to plant and machineries due to normal wear and tear , improper use, under and over utilization ,mis-operation etc can be viewed seriously and can hamper the smooth production of goods and services and machine down time. Keeping the productive resources of plant , machinery, equipment etc in good working condition is an important responsibility of management to achieve specified level of quality and reliability of operation.
Maintenance is the process of keeping the machine and equipment in good working condition so that the efficiency of machine is retained and its life is increased.
Or“Plant maintenance is a combination of actions carried out by an organization to replace, repair ,service the machineries , components or their groups in a manufacturing plant , so that it will continue to operate satisfactorily”
Objective of plant maintenance
The objective of maintenance is to maximize the performance of productive resources of an organization by ensuring that these resources perform regularly and efficiently. This is achieved by preventing the breakdown and failures and by minimizing the production loss.
The main objectives of plant maintenance are :
- To maximize the availability of plant, equipment and machinery for productivity through planned maintenance.
- To extend the life span of the plant, equipment , machinery etc., by minimizing their wear and tear and deterioration.
- To reduce the cost of production due to plant breakdown due to improper plant maintenance.
- To help the production department to go ahead with their production plans without any problem.
- To ensure operational readiness of all production facilities for emergency use at all times, such as fire fighting equipment , first aid facilities, alternative method of production and packing etc
- To provide management with proper information on the cost and effectiveness of maintenance.
- To ensure safety of staff through regular inspection and maintenance of facilities such as boilers, compressors, elevations, material handling system, conveyors , dangerous heavy machineries etc.
Plant Maintenance .pdf (Size: 475.25 KB / Downloads: 282)
Share your Study Materials with us : Click Here