13-02-2016, 03:38 PM
TIPS TO SAVE YOURSELF FROM ONLINE
CREDIT CARD/ DEBIT CARD FRAUDS• Clear your logins and passwords immediately especially important if you’ve been using Credit Card / Debit Card details on a public computer in Public places like Internet Cafe/Centres. Change logins and passwords monthly.
• Pay for online purchases with your credit card/ debit card, be alert for phishing, a trick in which spam or pop-ups mimic legitimate banks or businesses to obtain your personal information, which they use to access your accounts. Always verify that you’re on a familiar web site with security controls before entering personal data.
• Never write your PIN number back of your Credit Card/Debit Card. Keep your PIN a secret. Memorize your PIN. Do not let anyone else enter your PIN for you. Don’t give your PIN over the telephone. No company or person should ever ask for your PIN, not even your bank or credit union. If you use your debit card to make a purchase by phone, never disclose your PIN.
• Never be given your Credit Card/Debit Card PIN number details to store employees, bank employees or merchants. The PIN is used to secure your transaction by requiring it any time you make a purchase, conduct an ATM transaction or buy something on the Internet using secure PIN-pad technology.
• Install a ‘Spam protection blocker software’ for the spam pop-ups in your computer.
• If you are unsure whether an email request is legitimate, try to verify it by contacting the company directly. Report suspected phishing emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Monitor regularly your bank credit card/debit card statements and financial statements regularly, keeping an eye out for any unfamiliar activity. If you find something irregular, report it.
• If your card is lost or stolen, report it to your financial institution right away. By notifying your bank or credit union immediately, you reduce the chance that your card will be used improperly.
• Don’t let a cashier or anyone else enter your PIN, even if they are helping you with the transaction whether purchase things at shops/petrol bunk/hotels any other places.
• Block the view of others when entering your PIN at an ATM or debit terminal. Make sure your ATM or debit transaction is complete, then review your receipt before leaving the terminal. Be aware of your surroundings before using a public terminal, such as a walk-up ATM in a mall or at a gas station It’s smart to take a friend with you when using a public ATM or debit terminal at night or in a remote location.
• If you’ve detected any fraudulent activity someone, notify the financial institution where the fraudulent activity occurred first, so they can freeze your account. Depending on the situation, you’ll need to file a complaint with your bank immediately and you can make a complaint with our cyber crime cell of Greater Chennai Police or your residence nearest Police Station and keep a vigilant eye on that credit/debit reports.
kavi, proud to be a member of Vidyarthiplus.com (V+) - Online Students Community since Apr 2013.