02-11-2012, 06:42 PM
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, MAY/JUNE 2009
CE 1032 - SMART STRUCTURES AND SMART MATERIALS
Time: Three hours Maxmimum:100 marks
Answer ALL questions
PART A - (10x2 = 20 marks)
1. What are hybrid smart materials?
2. What is an intelligent system?
3. List the functions of strain gauges?
4. What is a strain Rosette?
5. What is chemical sensing in structural assessment?
6. What is the role of a sensor?
7. How the actuators are used in structures?
8. Name the piezoelectric materials used in smart structures.
9. What are Geometrical processors?
10. List the limitations of non linear control systems?
PART B - (5x16 = 80 marks)
11. (a) Explain the functions of various sensing sytems and actuation systems in smart structures.
11. (b) Discuss in detail the functions and response of instrumental structures.
12. (a) What are the different types of strain gauges in smart structure? Explain any two of them with simple sketches.
12. (b) Brief on the role of (i) Wheatstone bridge and (ii) Pressure transducer in smart structure.
13. (a) Explain (i) passive sensory smart structure (ii) active sensing and reactive smart structure.
13. (b) What are fibre optic sensors? Explain in detail the light propagation in an optical fibre. What are its advantages?
14. (a) What are the different actuator materials? Explain reactive actuator based smart structures.
14. (b) What is an electro rheological phenomenon? Discuss the electro rheological fluids and fluid actuators.
15. (a) What is an optimized control algorithm? How does it help to perform the required functions after sensing changes?
15. (b) Write brief technical note on:
(i) Data acquisition [Marks 8]
(ii) Signal processing [Marks 8]
“Work hard in silence, let your success be your noise...”