04-11-2012, 07:47 PM
B.E/B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL/MAY 2010.
Computer science and engineering
EC 1008 – HIGH SPEED NETWORKS
(COMMON TO SEVENTH SEMESTER ELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING)
(COMMON TO B.E.(PART TIME)SIXTH SEMESTER ELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING REGULATION 2005)
TIME: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS
Part A—(10*2=20 marks)
1. What IS the need for high speed LAN?
2. Mention the advantages and disadvantages of wireless LAN.
3. What are the types of queuing models?
4. What are the causes for congestion?
5. What are features of GFR traffic?
6. What is the need for window management?
7. Mention the features of Integrated Services.
8. List the limitations of WFQ queuing discipline.
9. What is label stacking?
10. What are the goals of RSVP?
PART B—(5*16 = 80 MARKS)
11. (a) Discuss the features of ATM and which aspects of the ATM network architecture depend on the fixed length nature of ATM cells? What happens if ATM cells are allowed to be variable in length?
(b) Discuss the main features of fast Ethernet and compare them with other types of high speed LAN.
12. (a) Describe the queuing analysis and the various queuing models in the
Network traffic management system.
(b) Explain in detail the effects of congestion and the techniques to be
followed in the network layer to deal with congestion.
13. (a) (i) Discuss in detail the various algorithms to improve the timer
management mechanism of TCP.
(ii) Explain the performance of TCP over ATM.
(b) Discuss the traffic control, traffic management in ATM networks.
14. (a) Explain, with neat diagram, the significance, components, services
and the architecture of Integrated services.
(b) Explain the various queuing discipline and its limitations.]
15. (a) Discuss in detail Data flow, operations and protocol mechanism of RSVP.
(b) Explain the following:
“Work hard in silence, let your success be your noise...”