04-11-2012, 07:50 PM
B.E/B.TECH DEGREE EXAMINATION,JUNE 2010
GE2152-BASIC CIVIL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
PART A( 10X2=20 MARKS )
1. State the priciples of surveying?
2. How are bricks classified?.
3. Define bering capacity of soil.
4. Define stress and strain.
5. What is the use of surge tank in hydro power plants?
6. Give two examples for positive displacement pumps.
7. What is the function of carburetor?
8. Compare two stroke and four stroke engines with regard to power output and thermal efficiency, for the same speed and cylinder capacity.
9. Define ton of refregiration.
10. State the values of DBT and RH for human comfort in India.
PART B-(5 X 16=80)
i. The following perpendicular offsets were taken at 10m intervals from a survey line to n irrecular boundary line: 3.15m,4.30m,8.20m,6.85m,7.60m,4.20m,5.60m,4.30m.Calculate the area enclosed between the survey line ,irrecular boundary line,first and last offsets by trpezoidal rule.
12. What are the different types of cement?Explain their properties properties and uses.
13. Describe with neat sketches.
i)Any one of shallow foundation.
14.Dexcribe with neat sketches.
i). Arch culvert.
ii). T-Beam and Slab bridge.
15.Draw a neat layout of a typical steam power plant and explain the various circuits involved.
16.With the help of suitable sketches,explain the working of a reciprocating pump.What are the advntges of centrifugl pumps over reciprocating pumps?
17.Explain the working of a two stroke petrol engine.What are the advantages and disadvantages of two stroke engines?
18.Explain the principle of working of a four stroke diesel engine with suitable sketches.What are the merits and demerits of four stroke engines?
19.With the help of flow diagram explain the principle of working of a vapour compression refrigeration system.Compare vapour absorbtion refrigeration with vapour compression refrigertion.
20.With a neat sketch,explain in detail the working of a window type room air conditionar.
“Work hard in silence, let your success be your noise...”